REVIEW : NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp

by - Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hello ladies, I have another lip product to review today! Do you know that I love matte lippies? And this baby here is my current favorite. It was highly raved by many beauty junkies and bloggers all over the world, so I was tempted to give it a try. Plus I was looking for a 'My Lips But Better' lippies for daily so I thought ' Why not?"  this is the perfect chance to try it.






NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, this matte lip cream is a new kind of lip color that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and, unlike some matte lipstick formulas, also moisturizing.
What it is 
 Highly pigmented, matte lip cream 
What it does 
Creates various matte lip looks 

Why we love it
 Delightfully creamy and lightweight, our award winning line just expanded with two captivating new shades. 
How to use
Apply directly to lips, or over lipstick. Apply with lip liner to define outline of lips. 


http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-17-soft-matte-lip-cream.aspx



NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream comes in a regular lipgloss packaging with black matte cap which indicates that this product has matte finish. NYX also has another lip cream like this, only with different finish : NYX Xtreme Lip Cream, which is more on the glossy side The packaging is almost the same except the cap. Soft Matte Lip Cream has matte cap, while on the opposite Xtreme Lip Cream has shiny-plastic like cap. At first glance you might mistake them as same products but they are different, so you might need to take a look more carefully for that







It has a doe-foot applicator, like most lip products. I don't have any issue with the applicator at all. It's easy to use, works well in picking up and spreading the product . Using the sharp edge of the applicator, I cou;d actually draw my lips precisely without using any extra lip brush.






It says 'cream' and I must say it is true to the description, because it feels smooth, creamy and buttery like you're spreading cake icing on your lips, not to mention that it does smell like cake, vanilla cupcake to be precise. It just smells really yummy!! But, one thing that's unfortunate is this lip cream tends to be patchy, streaky and uneven upon application, especially if I put on lipbalm underneath or if I apply too much of it. That's why I prefer to apply it by dabbing or swiping it on my lips and then spread the product using my finger.

I need to wait for a few minutes until the lipcream dries and fully set into matte mode. But once it's set, it would stay in place and won't budge. It doesn't leave lipstick marks on cup or anywhere, which is awesome. 

As expected from matte lippies, it feels dry. Actually it doesn't make my lips (which is already dry to begin with) become even more dry, or worst : cracked, but it's not moisturizing either. However, it makes dry patches, flakes, lines, wrinkles and cracks more visible. If you have soft, well-moisturized lips then it's ok, but if you have dry lips like mine then it's a problem because it would look pretty bad :/ So make sure your lips are in the best condition before using this.







Talking about the color, NYX describes Antwerp as 'Mid-toned-yellow-toned-pink', while for me it is simply coral-ish pink. I was surprised to see how orange-y the color on the tube is, judging from the gazillion of online swatches, I thought it would be some kind of dusty pink. But thank God on me it  looks pink instead of coral or orange, I'm relieved, because orange always look weird on me --". It might look different on different skintone though.

One thing I love the most about this shade is it's very versatile and buildable. It's really a safe color, you can wear this and go with any make up look and it would still look awesome. You can use a thin layer if you want just a little wash of color on your complexion, for an office look perhaps. However you can always reapply to achieve the intensity that you want. I  wore this lipcream on my graduation (just added an extra layer from usual so the color would look more vibrant) and it looked absolutely perfect with my brown eye makeup. Not to mention that it stayed well from the start until the end of the ceremony which was about 3 to 4 hours. Major love <3 <3


 



I also notice that this lipcream makes my lips look a bit fuller and plumper, I usually avoid full lips on me because my lips is already too big to begin with lol But the plumping effect turns out to be quite nice, so I don't mind lol






Back then when I was a mikan (orange) head lol




PROS

* Amazingly pigmented, but buildable
* Great staying power
* Makes lips looks fuller and plumper
*Transferproof
* Doesn't make dry lips become even more dry or cracked
* Smells yummy like vanilla cupcake
* Perfect matte finish
* Lightweight and comfortable, doesn't feel 'clinging' on lips
* Wide selection of colors and hues : 22 colors to choose!!
* 'Antwerp' is very versatile, looks great with any make up
* Nice price for such quality (about 90-100 IDR at most online shops)


CONS

- Looks bad if you have chapped and cracked lips because it accentuates dry patches and cracks
- Tends to be patchy and streaky upon application.


 RATING
4.5/5


The pros totally beat the cons, doesn't it? So I give it an almost perfect rating, 4.5!! I would probably give it 5 if it has more acceptable minor flaws, but hey, nothing is perfect in this world, right?? LOL
Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this, in fact I LOVE IT! I can see why it is soo popular and got featured on so many blogs and reviews. The formula is good, and Antwerp is basically a color that would look flattering on many skintones, that's why this shade is the most popular out of 22 colors that this product has. Alright, I'm eyeing on another color now >_>

If you're a matte lover like me, you should give it a try (y)




I have many reviews coming up, but I don't know if I can finish wirting all of them. I can hardly manage my time to take care of this blog T_T I will be working full time starting from early February so you might not see many updates within next months.


See you later and thanks for reading!






You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. heard so many good reviews for this product! hope to try it someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's good! No wonder it's loved by many people! :)

      Delete
  2. Aih, cakepnyaaa~ Congrats ya, Teph, wisudanya~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriuoslyyyy... kenapa new shade from nyx soft matte reviewnya muncul meluluuuuu..... Uangnya udah abissss...... Hiksssss....
    Mana bagus banget lagi warnanya di kamu....
    Gagal hemat deh liat review ini....
    *eluselusdompet*

    Btw, aku baru saja memfollow mu...
    Mari bertemannnn...
    Salam kenal yaaa...

    -Ninneta-
    www.ninneta.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah gaswaat aku malah menarik orang ke jurang kekelaman >_< beli ajah, bagus loh, ntar ga beli nyesel #bisikansetan

      Thank you for following, salam kenal yaa ^_^

      Delete
  4. congrats uda diwisuda! cantik warna lips nya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look pretty and i love your lips color.
    Www.tomntins.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. Anonymous with hateful comments & spams will be deleted

Instagram